78. Self Care Isn’t For Suckers
Go ahead and skip the self-care . . .
. . . and let’s see how quickly you build your business. I swear if I hear the word hustle one more time, I’m going to go over the brink into insanity. It’s like we wear action as a badge of honor, when in reality – the magic happens when we stop and rest. Did you catch that last part? In case you didn’t, I’m going to repeat it. The magic happens when you stop and rest.
You only get one life.
Say what? Yep! It’s true. This is it. The one. The only. And you’re in the middle of it. So if you are chasing the notoriety, almighty dollar or approval of others at the expense of your own sanity and happiness – you need to get your poop in a group my friend. I say that with total love and affection – but THIS IS IT! And if you aren’t taking time to enjoy your life, what’s the point of all of it? This is why this week in Episode 78 I break down the symptoms of not getting enough self-care and 5 simple steps to get you back on track. Check out the entire episode here.
Am I a hot mess or just need a little self-care?
Great question! I thought it might be helpful to have a checklist of “watch for” symptoms, in case you’ve totally lost track of what’s happening to you while you build this life you’ve been dreamin’ about. If you are suffering from one or more of the following, you may be in a self-care crisis:
- Feeling stuck
- Burned Out
Holy crap Alisa, I go through all of those at least once a day.
I get it. I hate to break it to you, but you’re an entrepreneur and part of that is considered normal. But when those feelings stick and you can’t move past them, it is DEFINITELY time to take a break and recharge. That means without a phone, email and social media be damned. Because let’s be real, all social media does is exasperate your self-loathing when you’re already at rock bottom. In this week’s episode, I get pretty real with my journey of doing vs being. They are two very different modes of Operandi. When you are busy doing doing doing you end up with a handful of hair (because you pulled it out in frustration) and a lot of “to do’s” that never seem to get done. Whereas, if you spend your time being who you want to be known for and doing the things that fill you up and make you shine, it’s a WHOLE different experience.
I’m picking up what you’re putting down, but how do I start?
Lucky for you, I’ve perfected a list of just how to learn to experience as the Italians say “Il Dolce Far Niente” which translates to “the art of doing nothing.” Uh, do nothing Alisa, really? That seems like some hocus pocus woo-woo cuckoo-ca-choo. I know but stick with me – because I AM DEAD SERIOUS when I say this stuff REALLY works. I know, because I tested it for a month. Does that mean you can lay around everyday eating bonbons and think your biz will hit the big time? Uh, no! But, it does mean that it’s ok – more than ok – to take some downtime, do some self-care and then get back to it.
So let’s jump into that 5 step plan:
1. Rest. Entrepreneurs are driven. They don’t like to stop. They don’t really understand how to rest. We are constantly checking our phones, answering emails, connecting to customers on social, making phone calls, stopping in to say hello, networking, marketing, and the list goes on and on. But without the rest, we won’t have any energy to do all of the things that need to be done or enjoy the freedom that started us on this entrepreneur gig in the first place. So practice, resting. I know it won’t be easy – but oh baby, when you finally get into it – you are going to thank me. I do love me some chocolate, just sayin’!
2. Create. Never underestimate the power of creativity. Because I’m telling you what, nothing gets the brain juices flowing like a little bit of creativity. It doesn’t matter what you are doing, just jump in there and paint, cook, draw, write, color, build or whatever your little creative heart desires. I give you lots of different ideas here in the episode.
3. Breathe. Say what? I do breathe, Alisa or I wouldn’t be standing here. I get you, but the reality is we just breathe, it’s what our body does to stay alive. When we consciously breathe and tune into our breath on purpose – your whole world is going to open up. Especially if you add something like yoga to the practice. Mind blown! I have had some of the biggest breakthroughs during and after yoga. I’m telling you, you can’t pay enough for that kind of therapy.
4. Move it. You’ve got to move it move it. Yeah, I’m getting punchy. But in all seriousness – move your body. When you take that walk, go for a bike ride, shovel snow or do whatever is you do to move the energy around in your body miraculous things happen. (see above) Whatever you choose to do, make it a habit. I give you lots of ideas here in Episode 78 as well.
5. Journal. As I’m writing these notes (well after the episode has been recorded) I had an experience JUST today that shifted my entire day around simply because I started journaling. As entrepreneurs, we do a LOT of thinking. Sometimes to our own detriment. Because we need to get out of our heads. One of the greatest ways to do that is to pick up a pen (yes a pen) and start writing. There is no right way to journal. Just do what works for you. Below are a few of my favorite places to find journals and some journal prompts to get you going. I share my crazy way of journaling here in the episode, check it out.
Silk & Sonder has bundled a planner and journal and they are GORGEOUS
Now it’s up to you! Are you going to buy into the hustle, or give yourself some downtime? Head on over to the Facebook Group and share with the group your next self-care strategy.
Listen to the entire episode here:
Love this episode? We would love a Review! Don’t forget to subscribe so you don’t miss any episodes!