118. Why Targeted Marketing Will Get You Clients Faster
One of the biggest struggles I see Second Act Entrepreneurs make is to try and sell to everyone. It is a battle that is hard fought to narrow your niche, but it is also the fastest way to the promise land and selling your services. This week’s episode unpacks the three reasons why. Listen to the entire episode here or watch the video here.
Why do Second Act Entrepreneurs struggle with narrowing down their audience?
There are two main reasons people don’t narrow their niche:
1. They want to serve everyone. Their product/service works for everyone. It makes sense to market to everyone if you aren’t familiar with the current marketing landscape. But, between the influx of businesses hopping online in 2020 and the number of people ignoring marketing because they are frankly “over it” – marketing must resonate with people at a deeper level if it’s going to grab their attention.
2. They are afraid to narrow down their audience. It can be scary to narrow down to a specific person and create marketing that speaks to that person. But the more poignant the message, the more likely you are going to grab attention.
In the episode I talk about the big “a-ha” that I realized recently when trying to convince a client to narrow their marketing. We have to spread our marketing message wide, but ensure that our messaging is very very narrowly speaking to a specific market.
There are three key reasons why specific messaging increases sales quicker.
1. Narrowing your message affords you the opportunity to create conversations. There is a misnomer out there that you need millions of followers to make a lot of money. The reality is – online businesses are still successful because conversations are happening between two people. Relationships are built, trust is earned. People crave connection, more now than ever and by creating an environment that nurtures connection, you are building both trust and conversation.
2. Narrow messaging helps people self-identify when you are speaking to them. Automatically causing them to stop the scroll, listen a little more intently and want to know more and most importantly helping you to stand out from all the other “noise” on the internet. When you can get people to stop and pay attention, but you have the opportunity to continue the conversation – if they scroll on by, there goes your chance.
3. When your people self-identify with what you are saying, you are building an emotional connection. You become relatable, trustworthy and it becomes easier to move them toward purchasing and working with you. 95% of buying decision are based on emotion. When you can connect with someone on an emotional level, it increases the speed of getting to “yes”.
If you enjoy the episode, please share it with a friend – it’s you and your support that help spread the word.
Until next week, be well and take care!
Love this episode? We would love a Review! Don’t forget to subscribe so you don’t miss any episodes!